Canton, Georgia
2.7K views

Order a meal at McDonald's and you won't get the price on the overhead menu because they will automatically upsize your drink to a medium size with an additional upcharge. As this happens every time, breakfast, lunch or dinner, I must ask for my order to be corrected.

I've been told by employees' that "most people want medium." Well I beg to differ!

Most people want to receive what they order.

If the meal comes with this drink, then so be it. Don't automatically change the drink size and charge more for it without any communication to the customer, the bait & switch is just stealing from the unaware consumer.

Shame on you McDonald's!

Comments

May I suggest that everyone complaining about this should simply take their business to Booger King from now on?

Shame on McDonald's? They have no shame!

This happened to me as well. Yesterday, (July 9th 2019), I ordered a simple two cheeseburger meal as I wasn't feeling too hungry.

I noticed they automatically upsized and charged me for the larger meal without asking!

I complained, got my money back and filed a complaint. They are notorious for doing this!

This seems to be a company wide practice. Time for a class action suit I say.

unfairhiringprastices

So throw the drink in their face and tell them you want your money back for the upcharge, problem solved.

I agree it's a battle every time I order a happy meal. Some drink should come with the meal but anything I select is an upcharge! Just give me what goes with the meal and price!

#1203652

Is this a real complaint?

#1203645

I was so made we stopped at a service plaza in New York at McDonalds, and was charged 2.40 upcharge for a medium soda. That made the meal 10.49 meal 12.89.

They should we letting people know that an extra few Oz of soda are going to cost you more than the purchase of it from a vending machine and you get 20 in the machine. McDonald's should be ashamed of them selves.

Its a scam from mc donalds headquarters

So order the drink as small and tell them to make it small because you don't want automatic up charge. When they enter meals, it comes up as medium because the meals can only have medium or large fries.

It's automatic as a button. You wouldn't understand unless you worked there. McDonald's is a corporation, they shouldn't get slack for individual workers our stores that don't know what you want and don't assume that they know what you want either. Some crew members, many, are not trained to know these things, they learn as they go depending the trainer and the store.

If you were thrown in there to work, you would see how many customers like yourself, complain about the smallest things but at a restaurant where they have less standards, they don't complain. It's one hard job and that's why many people don't stay, and that's why there's always new people who don't know things because the trainers are so tired of training employees, is a very vicious cycle. They learn best with your cooperation though, so if you know that your drink cost note that way, just let them know you want a small drink when they ask you what to drink. Thank you.

Ps.

McDonald's is not a rip off, go to Starbucks for your coffee and see what rip off is.

And yes it varies by location. Whether they up charge for certain things.

@Anonymous

If you post a price, thats what I expect to be charged every time.

I have this same problem too, but it varies by location. Cream for my coffee is free at the McDonalds on highway 9 but they charge me at the one on Buford Hwy in ***, GA.

That's why I finally decided to stop going to McDonald's - so I can avoid this ripoff!

Agreed 100%. Consumers need to start pitching a fit and state attorney generals should ban this practice.

I asked for small and was told "the combo only comes with medium or large" with the up charge of course. Pure revenue enhancement training by Management.

Order a meal at McDonald's and you won't get the price on the overhead menu because they will automatically upsize your drink to a medium size with an additional upcharge.As this happens every time, breakfast, lunch or dinner, I must ask for my order to be corrected.

Most people want to receive what they order.

If the meal comes with this drink, then so be it.Don't automatically change the drink size and charge more for it without any communication to the customer, the bait & switch is just stealing from the unaware consumer.

Shame on you McDonald's!

Most McDonalds systems wont even allow you to select "small" for the combos. Being a former employee, I understand the frustration however 95% of the time, its the system and not the employee..

Just food for thought.